18th April 2010
- 2010 is well underway and there has been plenty of AWF news since the beginning of the year. Autumn future events look to be intense, with the main focus still being the struggle between "The Freakshow" and "The Detonation Crew".
- Massive Q is the new Australasian Champion by defeating Iron Jay under questionable circumstances at Panthers on 15 January. Q's first title match challenger is being scheduled for the 16 April Cube event, so stay tuned to see who will get the shot. In the lead up to the bout, Q will captain "The Freakshow" in some big 6 man bouts, and also head to the Queensland Supanova extravaganza.
- AWF Tag Team Champions "The Cornershop Connection" continue their successful reign, with victories over Williams & The Samoan Warrior plus Flyswat & Linstrom at January events. New teams aplenty are lining up to take on the champs as Autumn begins, with Toxin & Rigga Mortis looking to take a shot, as well as the new team of Shane Saw and Sir Loin. The upcoming 26 March Cessnock event will see locals Linstrom and Falco try to use their home turf advantage to capture the gold, and then if Traffic and Frankie still hold onto the gold, they still have the former champions "Team Astronomy" to contend with. The tag team scene is really picking up steam in 2010 as the level of competition takes yet another step up.
- Powerhouse Theo remains Commonwealth Champion, with January seeing him successful against Spaceboy Dacey and Krackerjak. Theo's reign has continued to go from strength to strength as it approaches the 1 year mark in April. Newcomer "The High Flying Sensation" Sky will challenge Theo on 20 March at the AWF Dojo and the disgruntled Bill Flyswat will face his former Detonation Crew team mate the following week on 26 March at Cessnock. Be on hand to see if Theo can come into the Cube show on 16 April as Commonwealth Champion of 1 Year.
- Young Lion's competition is always heated, and with many new young grapplers trying to edge their way onto AWF cards, the Young Lion's Championship will no doubt be a title to keep an eye on. "Mint Condition" Mick Morretti has been finding his groove as YLC downing Jarred Slate, Tama Williams and Adam Hoffman at recent events. Upcoming events will see him battle at the AWF Dojo on 20 March, and new up and comer Sky at Cessnock on 26 March.
- January 15ths Best of The Best at Panthers was a successful event, with Victoria's Krackerjack taking the final victory against NSW's Blakestone. The DVD of the night will be available from the AWF Website in the coming weeks. Krackerjack chose to use his victory as a platform to challenge for a title shot against Powerhouse Theo at The Cube the following night, and even after an earlier set up attack, still was unable to come away with the title. Krackerjack however bounced back in Adelaide with a big win over the much larger Mana The Polynesian Warrior, and then a near loss to El Generico. Krackers says he will go back to the boot of his car to strategize more, and hopes that upcoming events will see him gain another Title shot, where he says he will take advantage and finally get an AWF Title around his waist to keep his pants up. Krackerjack will be a main participant at the upcoming Melbourne Supanova events on 17 and 18 April.
- AWF is excited to announce that we will host Live AWF Pro-Wrestling action every quarter at The Cube in Campbelltown, NSW during 2010. Upcoming dates are 16 April, 9 July and 8 October. Our January 16 event was taped in a fast paced TV format style, and the crowd and crew had a ball! We will endeavor to run future Cube events in a similar format. The DVD from the action packed 16 January event will be available from April. See the AWF Website.
- AWF WrestleRage as part of The Fringe Festival 19-21 Feb turned out to be a disappointing weekend crowd wise. Small attendances however could not stop a high level of action, as the crew still went and gave it their all. Thanks to those who attended, and those who traveled from far such as Jarred Slate, Mana, Tama, TNT, Iron Jay, Spaceboy Dacey, Mighty Mel, Krackerjack, and international guest El Generico. Special thanks from AWF & WSW go to the band, Joel Bateman, Blake Mitchell, Kellie Manera and the RCW Crew, in particular Chris Basso. Appreciate your help in putting the weekend together.
- AWF is excited to be appearing as part of Supanova Pop Culture Expo events in April, 2010. 10 & 11 April will see Brisbane & 17 & 18 April will host Melbourne events, plus June will see Sydney and Perth spectaculars. Past years Supanova's have been fun filled weekends, with great AWF action being some of the highlights, so be sure to mark the events on your 2010 calendar! Visit www.supanova.com.au for up to date info on pop culture stars that will be on hand.
- "Detonation Crew's" TNT made his surprise return to the ring on Jan 15, choosing to work through his shoulder injury. January 16 saw TNT announce "Iron Jay" Coles as the newest member of the Detonation Crew, and the tandem teamed to defeat rivals Il Cognito and Massive Q. TNT competed on the AWS Supershow defeating Ahmed Iblis of Lebanon the following weekend, and in February faced El Generico and Tama Williams, with the shoulder holding up well. TNT 15th year as an active pro-wrestler will be in April. There are plans for a show celebrating this accomplishment.
- Other returns to action of former AWF Champions over Summer saw the surprise interjection of Il Cognito at Panthers. His impact was such that his smashing of Iron Jay with the AWF Championship belt was the deciding factor in the title victory of Massive Q. With Il Cognito visibly back in the fold, the Freakshow is the most dominant force in AWF once again. Il Cognito will appear in ring at the upcoming 16 April Cube event.
- Another AWF super talent returning to action recently was Mark "The Hammer" Hilton, who says he has worked off any ring rust now, and is ready to make an impact at the upcoming Cube event. Hilton had competitive bouts with Adam Hoffman, an impressive showing in the AWF Rumble and an evenly fought battle with Blakestone at Best of the Best over Summer. It is apparent Hilton is still one of the best in Australia, and AWF look forward to him being on cards again in 2010.
- The superfit Blakestone has been very impressive in recent outings, defeating two former AWF Champions in Mark Hilton and Steve Ravenous at January AWF events. While losing to Krackerjak in the Best of the Best final, Blakestone said that the loss has made him even more focused to win the big matches, and he says 2010 will be his year, and his focus is now winning the AWF Australasian Championship.
- Rob "The Scientist" will return to AWF action after a successful trip to Texas, USA, training with Booker T's Wrestling Academy and defeating many Texan's, on 20 March at the AWF Dojo Minto taking on Bill Flyswat. Rob says he has big plans instore for 2010, including getting his hands back on the AWF Tag Titles, and even going after the Young Lion's Championship. AWF welcomes Rob back and look forward to seeing if his time away has served him well.
- "Platinum Player" Steve Ravenous made an appearance on the 16 Jan Cube event, but was on the short end of the stick in his AWF return against Blakestone.
- Bombshell Bo made her last in ring appearance for some time at the 16 Jan Cube event. She will appear at AWF events as a show hostess and manager still from time to time.
- Rigga Mortis returned to in ring action in Norwood, SA on Feb 20 after being out several months with his leg in a cast. He was injured in one of his initial bouts against Team Astronomy, and has been seething since. He will rejoin his Freakshow partners against Iron Jay and the Cornershop Connection on 20 March at Minto.
- Max Comic's injury has been botched by a bad doctor's diagnosis, and his rehabilitation will now take even longer. Comic will go into surgery in late March for a hopeful return to the ring in May. He will be at the Dojo on 20 March to address the AWF fans as he returns to the scene of the injury.
- Bill Flyswat has been making grumblings to the AWF office about having some surprises in store in the coming months, and has been pulling trainees and wrestlers aside for secret meetings since his recent losses with partner "Greatness" Grant Linstrom to "The Cornershop Connection". It will be interesting to see what Flyswat has up his sleeve, since his change of heart after turning on the Detonation Crew has seen him very bitter.
- AWF would like to thank BICO for their recent generosity towards AWF Wrestlers Raven, TNT and Krackerjak, who received a tour and gifts from their factory outlet in Chatswood, NSW. For those who aren't in the know, BICO is the coolest jewellery on the market today, and they are renowned for their hand polished silver plated pewter pendants which blend original design with a unique finish. The jewellery itself bridges fashion barriers and comes in styles such as street, surf, tribal, futuristic and more. So be sure to check out the BICO website at www.bico.com.au and either purchase cool stuff from their online shop, or look for it at specialty stores. BICO will be opening a number of specialty kiosk stores in shopping centres in 2010, including Liverpool and Burwood in NSW, so keep your eyes open for them. Look cool in 2010, wear BICO.
- For any sponsors wanting to be seen by thousands and thousands of supporters via AWF's networks around Australia please call AWF on 0410691377 or email email@example.com. Opportunities exist at live shows, in our events program, websites, and in snail and email listings. Catering to all budgets and can customize a campaign to your needs. Get your business out there today, and support AWF at the same time!
- AWF is on Facebook. Make sure you visit & join our Facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/pages/AWF-Australasian-Wrestling-Federation/112480879521 to get more of the latest from AWF. Interact with AWF and many of our wrestlers and get the latest info.
- New AWF T-shirts, hats and other accessories are now available at our online stores at http://www.cafepress.com.au/awfwrestlingau and http://www.cafepress.com.au/awfyounglions . Check 'em out and look super cool at upcoming events or on the street.
- There are many new AWF DVD releases available now. Please support these titles as there is some fantastic wrestling on them and they are highly enjoyable. You will be pleased!
Latest Releases are:
Best of The Best: Penrith, NSW, 15 Jan, 10 - $20
This Is AWF @ The Cube: Campbelltown, NSW, 16 Jan, 10 - $20
Other recent titles include:
A Decade of AWF - The best moments of AWF over the last 10 years - 2 DVD set - Featuring Mad Dog Vs Krackerjak (Hardcore), TNT Vs Il Cognito 30 Mins, Thug Thomas Vs Lobo, Hilton Vs Danielson, 4 Way for AWF Title, AWF Documentaries and Extras - $30
AWF PsychoticSlam Sydney, 18 April, 09 - $25
AWF Break Out @ Mt Druitt, 25 Sept, 09 - $20
AWF Break Out @ The Cube, 9 Oct, 09 - $20
AWF Break Out @ Wallsend, 10 Oct, 09 - $20
AWF Break Out @ Fairy Meadow, 11 Oct, 09 - $20
To order send a cheque or money order to AWF Wrestling: PO Box 473, Plumpton, NSW, 2761. (Add $5 postage per order in Aust, $15 International) or by Paypal at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Thanks for your support of AWF, & hope to see you at the upcoming Autumn events! Tell your friends about AWF and spread this news update. Become involved and let's continue to make AWF grow each month in 2010!
See you at the matches!